Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ice


Ice, I like ice. For the most part my interaction with ice has been pretty pleasant. Well except for a few slips and falls, I appreciate ice. Seems like a weird blog topic but I couldn't resist writing today after I was struck by the distance between an ice cube and my experience in Haiti last week. Down there you might as well be looking for a moon rock as a piece of ice. I caught my self many times saying to a patient " It's just a sprain, (all together now) go put some ICE on it." I'm not sure the country villagers would know what ICE is. There's no way they ever had any in their tiny way back in the jungle village and I'm pretty sure that if they had some the last thing they would do with it would be to put it on their ankle. Maybe they'd put it in their DIET COKE. Oh the irony of a diet coke to a Haitian is just too great. Really? DIET?? COKE??? So from now on when I waddle up to a fountain drink stand and fill my 64 oz cup with ice and DIET COKE, I'll think of Haitians drinking warm water they dipped from a stream running over the ground with untold things in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment