Sunday, January 31, 2010

Patrick's Faith

Last Wednesday I walked around a destroyed Haitian village doing first aid and simple orthopedic care. My translator, Patrick, helped me communicate to the many people we came into contact with. During a break where we stopped to get some water, I asked him what were his thoughts about the massive earthquake that had hit Haiti. He very matter of fact talked about the family members that he had lost, the changes in his life and about Haiti's future. He talked about his plans to continue his studies of the Bible in pursuit of becoming a pastor or counselor. I asked him how he felt about God now that this had happened to Haiti. Without hesitation he said well "in Jeremiah 29:11 the Lord said "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." I was dumbfounded. Standing in the middle of a pile of rubble that used to be a house I had just witnessed one of the most profound statements of FAITH I had ever heard. My faith pales compared to his and I (in my opinion) have many more things to be thankful for. I would gladly trade some of my American wealth for some Hatian faith.
Patrick really is a great communicator. God Bless Patrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment